Tuesday 10 August 2010

Topdeck: Berlin

For me Berlin has everything. It’s by far my favourite capital city in the world – it’s got history, culture, art, great museums and the best kebabs this side of Istanbul. This was my fourth visit in as many years, so I’d already seen quite a lot.

We stayed at the Wombats Hostel near Rosa-Luxembourg Platz which had a great view of the Fernsehturm and actual beds!

We stopped off at Treptow Park on the way into the city. It was built by Russians after the war – this statue represents the Soviets taking a weary Germany into its protection. I’m clearly doing the same thing for the weary Alex.

Obviously the Berlin wall was a must-see (or what’s left of it at least).

We also saw Brandenburg Gate all lit up. I’d only ever seen it in daylight before, so this was quite impressive.

The next day we met up with my friend Stephan at Potsdamer Platz and took one of these strange looking group bikes out for a spin.



That night we headed out to a few bars. We went underground at one point to see a great band playing crazy German music.

Leaving Berlin was a strange feeling. We all knew that the next city would be our last and there was a sudden feeling that the trip’s end was coming fast.

Next Stop: Amsterdam, The Netherlands


No comments:

Post a Comment