Sunday 31 October 2010

Year Abroad: Hamburg

Hamburg was only an hour away from Bremen, so I found myself visiting quite often during my year abroad. It’s a lovely place in spring and summer, but I wouldn’t recommend a visit during winter unless you plan on getting frostbite.

The Rathaus in Hamburg isn’t as old as Bremen’s, but it’s certainly impressive.

The whole area around the Rathaus transforms into a Christmas market for December (along with most of Hamburg city centre). The whole place goes a bit nuts with decorations – they even install this in the train station.

I’m definitely not going to complain when they serve food like this though. No wonder I put on weight while I was in Germany.

A short subway ride away from the city centre is St. Pauli, which is famous for its Reeperbahn area – a red light district that rivals Amsterdam in terms of seediness. This, for example, was a typical shop display on the main strip. Something tells me they’re not back massagers. One of the places was advertising an orgy mat – because the last thing you want to do after group sex is shampoo your carpets, obviously. 

It wasn’t only sex though – St. Pauli is also home to a pretty impressive fair 3 times a year.

The port area of Hamburg is home to what seems like endless warehouses. It’s also home to the world’s biggest model railway and the Hamburg dungeons!

There’s also a good museum you can get told off in for riding in a canoe you’re not supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment