Sunday 4 August 2013

Topdeck: Lauterbrunnen

They say a picture paints a thousand words. Well, I fear not even a thousand words would be enough to describe the sheer beauty of Lauterbrunnen.

This was my first time in Switzerland and the view I was greeted with as I stepped off the bus was one I'll never forget.

After setting up camp and marvelling at the scenery for a good hour or so we hunted down the bar for a 6 or 7 pints of the local beer - Rügenbrau. Phil was ecstatic to find that they sold Magners after having to stomach Desperados in France due to their lack of cider (he hates beer!) 

One by one people started retreating to their tents until only Me, Phil and Candace were left from our group. We went back and laid out under the starriest sky I've ever seen and talked about this and that until we fell asleep, or so I thought. In reality the other two had gone back to the warmth of their tents while I was left outside without a sleeping bag in the middle of the Alps overnight. Still, I've woken up in worse places... 

We awoke the next morning in the middle of a heavy storm. The thunder sounded amazing echoing off the valley sides - luckily it'd stopped by the time we'd eaten breakfast. The sky was clear within an hour and we walked into town to rent some bikes. We decided to ride up to some nearby waterfalls along a small trail with yet more amazing scenery. Unfortunately the ride was all up-hill and took about two hours with a stop for lunch. After seeing the waterfall though we figured our best route would be on the road - we were right. I think I pedalled once and that was to set off. We basically coasted all the way downhill to our camp-site. If you've got the legs it's a great way to explore the Alps.

After dropping our bikes back off we explored the town before going back for a few beers at the camp-site while we cooled off in the glacial stream that ran through it. 

Next Stop: Nice, France

No comments:

Post a Comment